DALAI LAMA HAS SAID THAT “THE PURPOSE OF OUR LIFE IS TO BE HAPPY”.
I am sure we all agree with this quote. But the question is
How to be happy always?
We are all trying hard to juggle many things in our life, it could be a career, work, family, etc with the ultimate goal of being happy and feel good. Would n’ t it be amazing if there was a button stuck on our body for happiness and you just press it and instantly you become happy? Or would not it be easy to spend money and buy it if it was sold in the market?
It’s a fact that if we keep searching for happiness from someone or something, then we will be dependent on an external source for our happiness. But instead, if we believe that happiness is something that exists within us, in our thoughts, beliefs, inner conscious, then we can easily achieve our goal of becoming happy. So, happiness is your choice of thoughts that can produce a pleasant feeling in your subconscious mind.
You need to always remember that positive thoughts create positive emotions or feelings and accordingly a positive state of mind. Just like how one perceives certain traits like being confident, fearful, having attention, interest, anger, etc. to be inclusive and individualistic, happiness is also the same.
Here are 8 simple and practical ways to always stay happy.
1. Live in the PRESENTMost people are unhappy because they either live in their past or worry too much about their future. One needs to understand that happiness is in the present and it is a gift we should learn to cherish before it becomes our past or memory. So, learning to value your present moment is the top secret of your happiness. Ex- it could be enjoying a cup of tea, talking to your friends, or as simple as focusing on your breath.
2. Positive ThinkingAlways remember that negative thinking leads to unhappiness. Our mind is scattered all over the place, it has the tendency to pick up more negatives than positives. So, channelizing our thoughts in the right direction becomes necessary. Firstly, start observing your negative thoughts, emotions, feelings, and beliefs. Become aware of them, constantly remind yourself that you deserve only happiness, and replace those self- limiting thoughts by positive ones. Focus on the good thoughts only, as you now whatever you focus it grows. I know it is hard to practice but accept that thoughts are the only thing that is under your control. No doubt, this will initially be hard to practice but understanding that positive thoughts will create positive emotions and in turn, a positive state of mind is very important.
3. Express GratitudeHappiness comes from expressing your gratitude honestly and sincerely. Be thankful to God for everything and everyone around you. I saw a message where a person was complaining about his shoes until he saw someone with no legs. So be happy with what you have. Expressing Gratitude will attract more positive things in life. For more ideas, how to express gratitude you can read this article https://positivepsychology.com/how-to-express-gratitude/
4. Stop Controlling OthersUnderstanding and accepting that one has no control over another person’s thoughts and behavior is very important for happiness. If you think you can change others by controlling them, you will remain unhappy throughout your life. How to identify if you are trying to control others?
Read 5 habits of controlling people.
5. Self-awarenessBeing aware of yourself and what you are good at is very important for your happiness. So, make a list of all your strengths/ abilities/ potential, etc, and start focusing on your positives rather than dwelling on your negatives. You have huge potential; you just need to tap it.
Related: Discover yourself
6. Accept challenges gracefullyLife is full of challenges. Always understand that God is testing you to show your inner potential. You don’t know what you can do or how strong you are unless you face problems or challenges in your life. Welcome them wholeheartedly as it is a way to know yourself better. Remember that a person who uses his full potential in life can always be happy. Life challenges you must overcome to become a strong person.
7. Sleep and ExerciseAdequate sleep is very important for peace of mind. We all know that there is a connection between body and mind. If our body is not rested, you become stressed, and then the mind is confused and unhappiness follows. Exercising regularly always releases hormones needed for happiness. It has both physical as well as mental health benefits. You can make a daily routine of deep breathing, just for 5 minutes. These breathing exercises will give more oxygen to your body and you will feel fresher and more energetic.
8.Service to othersAlways be a giver in life. Expectations lead to misery. On the other hand, helping others (it could be money or time) gives more satisfaction and in turn a lot of happiness. There are so many ways by which you can serve others despite your busy schedule. After going through the above tips, we are sure all of your questions i.e. how to happy in life, how to be happy in life, how to stay happy, how to become happy in life, how to keep yourself happy would have got answers.
Related: 8 tips to be happy all the time
We understand that happiness and our life is a result of our own thoughts, emotions, and mindfulness. We should not forget that materialistic things, foreign trips, fancy cars, houses, jewelry, etc. can only give us temporary happiness. These materialistic things will also give happiness only when we are happy from within. Focus on long term happiness. So set your priorities in life, take control of your thoughts and emotions and live the life you deserve. Remember that it is never too late to live a fulfilling and ever happy life. JiyoFullest
By Coach Aruna Elavarthy